IBM’s X-Force researchers have released their 2011 year end Trend and Risk Report and there’s good news and bad news for those of us trying to defend the castle, so to speak. First the good …
- spam is down compared to last year (although you wouldn’t know if from my inbox),
- software vendors are doing a better job of patching their products in a more timely manner,
- and one of the long-standing threats to web server security, cross site scripting vulnerabilities are down (but not out, I might add).
But don’t pop the corks just yet …
- attacks focused on mobile devices (i.e. smart phones, tablets, etc.) are on the up tick,
- and so are automated password guessing and phishing attacks.
Also, bear in mind that some of these statistics are cyclical in nature with a down year typically proceeding an increase in the following year.
All in all, though, some great info to have at your disposal and to factor into the way your organization views IT risk.
For more info including access to the free report and an overview video go to http://www-03.ibm.com/security/xforce/.